October 7, 2013

21st Annual Conference on Civil War Medicine

This past weekend was spent in Philadelphia with the members of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine. Although I have visited the museum in Frederick Md on several occasions, I never became a member nor attended one of their conferences.

Upon hearing that their current conference would be held not far from my home, and that several of my fellow members of the SOCWS were already members of the museum, I thought it only logical that I should sign up as well. George followed suit not long after.

The conference was held for the most part at the Doubletree by Hilton in King of Prussia, which is just outside of Philadelphia. I highly recommend this hotel if you visit the area.

We spent part of the day on Friday at the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia, attending a few lectures and touring the museum.

Saturday saw more lectures at the hotel before boarding buses to tour a cemetery, the G.A.R. Civil War Museum and Library, and the original Pennsylvania Hospital (the only indoor location that allowed photos) In Philadelphia.

Then it was back to the hotel for dinner and a small birthday celebration for George.








After a brief church service on Sunday morning by newly ordained Deacon George Wunderlich, who is also the Executive Director of the museum in Frederick, we attended a few more lectures before departing for home. Well actually, I detoured back to South Street in Philly to meet up with Eve and John for a cheese steak sandwich. They happened to be in town at the same time for some sightseeing.

All in all it was a fun time. I regret that it took me so long to join the museum, but now that I have, I look forward to more events with them. I recommend that you do the same.
www.civilwarmed.org

No comments:

Post a Comment