May 6, 2014

Adopt-a-Line / SOCWS Conference

  I arrived home this past Sunday after a long week with friends in Gettysburg and Chicago.
Our annual monument cleanup went as planned. George, Mary and I, successfully cleaned up around the 14th's three monuments.




We were even able to put down some grass seed on the bald spots at McPherson's Ridge and Culp's Hill. The Camp Letterman monument was in good shape. It appears that the Park Service is finally looking after that one.





On Sunday morning, we headed up to Chicago taking separate routes. Mine took me through Indiana where I stopped for the night. On Monday morning I visited Jas.Townsend & Son sutlers in Pierceton. I was interested in a folding hardwood chair that they were advertising in one of their entertaining videos. After purchasing it, as well as a few other things, I continued  on my journey, arriving in Chicago in the afternoon.










I spent the next few days sightseeing and visiting museums, including the Great Lakes Naval Museum which is located right next to USN Recruit Training Command. I spent 4 very cold months there 44 years ago for my "Boot Camp" training.









The SOCWS Conference began on Friday. We sat in on several lectures, did some more sightseeing, and had good times with our friends.







On Sunday morning it was a long drive home.

Next event is Somers, NY on 5/22.

Reviews: A thumbs up for The Holiday Inn Itasca, Buddy Guy's Legends, U Gazdy Polish, and Cucina Casale Italian Restaurants in Itasca.
A thumbs down for Westin Chicago West Itasca.

No comments:

Post a Comment